// accidental vegetarian chili.
So, I’m still getting used to this “only buy what you can carry thing.” It makes grocery shopping quite different from buying everything you need for the week, piling it into the car, and being on your merry way. I bought several items that were heavy–laundry detergent + canned items + my normal fresh items + boxed items…you get the idea. It was a fairly miserable experience.
Today, I had two recipes in mind when I set out to Trader Joe’s. But, in my usual fashion (without Alyssa, who is the list-maker), I only bought half of what I needed for both recipes. Not to worry! I found two different chili recipes that used the ingredients I bought and combined them!
32 oz vegetable stock // 1 sweet potato, cut into bite-size pieces // 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces // 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed // 1 can chick peas, drained & rinsed // 1 cup quinoa (I used white, but you can use any color) // 2 small tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces // 1 yellow onion, diced // 2 tsp paprika // 1 tsp garlic salt // 1 tsp crushed chili pepper // salt and pepper to taste // 1 tbsp olive oil // 1/4 clove of garlic, finely chopped // 1/2 serrano pepper // 1/8 c. fresh parsley
- Saute onions in olive oil until they turn yellow or clear, then add garlic and red bell pepper for about 2 minutes.
- Cook quinoa (1 c. quinoa + 2 c. water) in a separate saucepan. Set aside.
- Add vegetable stock to the sautéed vegetables.
- Add remaining vegetables and spices to the mixture, let simmer at a medium heat for 20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft enough to eat.
- Mix quinoa into the chili. Voila!